SWB cable and sshd

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:47:51 CST 2005

On 11/14/05, Jack <quiet_celt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's the thing, the computer is using a private ip
> address. So in order to find out what his ip address
> was, I connected from his machine to one of mine, thus
> capturing the ip address in my logs (sure I know there
> are other ways).
>
> So, when I try to connect from my machine, to his I
> get connection refused. While I can ping his box, and
> it
> appears to be up, neither ssh nor telnet work.

 Since he's using a private IP address, he's using NAT. The 'DSL modem'
(which should be called a 'router' or even a 'brouter') might even be
handling it. You are NOT pinging his box; you're pinging the router. It
needs to be configured to forward the traffic to his box, assuming that SWB
allows you to do that.
 Find out what his default gateway is and have him connect Firefox to that
ip to see what's there. Most routers will offer some kind of web interface.