Program Suggestion (also Re: checkinstall (mentioned inmeeting))

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 21:30:33 CST 2005

On 11/8/05, Frank Wiles <frank at wiles.org> wrote:
>You're talking about the --repackage option. This essentially
. . .
>save a rollback on all installs/updates, however I found that it
>double ( if not tripled ) the time it took to do updates.
 That's to be expected. First the installer has to open up the package to
see what's in it, so that it can generate the list of things to back up,
then go back and actually do the install. 3x sounds about right.
 I've given this some thought because I've done some work on protocols for
packaging updates to my company's software. I wrote a quick-n-dirty utility
that peeks into one or more tarballs (the main format our updates are
packaged in), backs up the files about to be replaced, and then unpacks the
tarballs. As an added bonus it logs the version numbers on all the binaries
involved both before and after update, so you can confirm that you've got
everything done.
 They used to have to do this by hand. The software installation team (who
have to install the point release off CD, and then put in the updates that
have come out since the release) loves it. Imagine how they'd like a real
package manager like RPM or apt!