Somewhat OT: Spyware or Cancerous Software?

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 21:57:04 CST 2005

--- "Monty J. Harder" wrote:

>  When I decided to install Ubuntu on this laptop,
> because I'd made a
> separate /home partition, which the installer didn't
> mess with, when I
> opened Firefox for the first time it not only had
> all of my preferences
> exactly as they were, it reopened the same tabs I
> had opened before. ...
I wholeheartedly agree ... almost.

I've done this same thing, and also done the saving of
"data" from a 'Doze machine. However, if you install a
new Linux to a system with an old /home partition, you
may may have issues with some programs that have newer
versions and newer config files. I've done this, too.
Then had to sometimes import the old configs into the
new versions. Doesn't always work, but much improved
over Windows. One can avoid the copying back and forth
of data with Windows systems by partitioning the drive
and sticking the My Documents files on a partition
away from the OS. Or even on another drive.

Brian JD