[OT] dynamic resolution web sites

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Sat Nov 5 09:57:12 CST 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Jason Dewayne Clinton wrote:

>> Jason, what did you use to build the svg file you used in the
>> example?
>
> Inkscape. I had to make two modifications to the file to get it to
> scale. I had to change the width and heigh to PX values and then add a
> "viewBox" property. I also added a white background (<rect>) since KSVG
> doesn't paint a white background by default.

This is very interesting.  However, playing devil's advocate, I see two
serious problems with svg for web pages.

1.  Complex SVG files are huge.  Those node and fill definitions get
massive in a hurry.

2.  Complex SVG files are mega-cpu intensive.  Everytime you try to scroll
the page, it shuts down your computer for x seconds to redraw.

But, I definitely do like the concept.  I've talked about this before, but
try http://www.zeni.net/trf/mgspec/157.php for scaleable graphics.  I
generate a libraray of jpgs with different scaling for the most common
screen resolutions, although the user can plug any "zoom" value that he
wishes into the location bar and the server will choose the closest sized
image and scale it for you on the fly.  Php is your friend.

Yes, these catalog page background images start out as vector but they are
mega smaller when scaled and converted to jpg raster.

On the other hand, experts have been telling me for years that the whole
world will be using broadband by Tuesday.

Regards,

-Don