PHP5

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue May 31 21:12:26 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 05:33 pm, Aaron Spiegel wrote:

> It seems to me that RPM installs of both PHP4 and PHP5 should go
> pretty cleanly.  My only real concern would be making sure to backup
> the httpd.conf in case the RPM install trys to replace it.

Unlike portage, I've never had a problem with RPM overwriting a customised
config file.  It overwrites the files it should, and leaves alone the files
that it should leave alone.  It will make backups of files, but usually you
never need them.

> There's also a howto on setting up PHP4 & 5 side by side in O'Reilly's
> "Upgrading to PHP 5" book....

Ah.  Sounds like I need to order the book.

> On a related note:  PHP5 is a *huge* improvement over PHP4.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the actual code.

> Of course once I get better at Ruby, I may not be going back to
> PHP at all... :)

Except that PHP will be out there, all over the place, and you'll either have
to work with it or be prepared to convert it all to Ruby.