courier-imapd disconnecting and leaving stale connections

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 17:14:49 CDT 2005

--- Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> On Friday 27 May 2005 09:18 am, Jack wrote:
>
> > Ok, this is more an annoyance than anything else.
> I suspect I have
> > something missing in my configuration for courier.
> Frequently while I
> > have an imap session up it will disconnect at the
> server and leave
> > the connection process up on the server.
>
> There seems to be a problem with the current
> interpretation of IMAP
> connections.  KMail 1.7.1 has problems because it
> establishes a connection
> and never closes it.  When it attempts to do
> something over that connection
> after it has been closed by the server, it throws an
> error message instead of
> reconnecting.
>
> I know this really doesn't address your problem, but
> you might try other
> clients to see if they close the connection
> properly.  You also might try
> tweaking the "check mail" interval on TBird.
I've tried all the email clinets installed on the
machine and played with the settings on them. My
biggest gripe with TBird was that it wiped out all my
filter rules for Mozilla Mail when I installed it.
Other than that TBird and Mozilla Mail have the same
disconnect behavior. KMail doesn't seem to have the
same issue, but it is incapable of displaying the
digest form of spme of the mailing lists I'm on. It
shows them as attachements like squirrelmail does, and
I have to open each stinking one of the attachments,
which kind of defeats the purpose of getting the list
in digest format. I have no desire to install YAEC
just to overcome this pain. I just go to the server
and sighup the processes. I'd like to figure why they
are hanging. The comment about the firewall didn't
even occur to me. I've become so used to the firewall
that I forget it's there. I'll have to explore that
issue. The funny thing is the connection can go down
simply by me doing a command like "empty the trash"
and then changing mail "directories", which in fact is
the most frequent cause for the server disconnect
notice.

Thanks,
Brian D.