RoadRunner outages

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu May 26 17:02:07 CDT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 09:15, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Anybody else seeing outages on RoadRunner in the early morning hours?  I've
> noticed it for several weeks - being six hours ahead in England, 2:00 -
> 5:00 AM here is 8:00 - 11:00 there, prime time to connect.

I have noticed it too. I was having connectivity issues 5-6 times / day where
the connection would drop offline for about 2 - 3 minutes and then suddenly
return -- on rare occasions, for an hour or two. It turns out that the copper
braided shielding on the coax line leading to my house had a burr in it. More
on that in a minute. I collected some ping logs and used gnuplot to make a
PNG that someone at RR would be able to easily interpret. The short version
is that, after 3 techs on-site and several phone techs whom all but called me
a liar, they finally fixed that but this problem you describe still exists.
I'm thinking of starting the customer service cycle over again for this
problem but am dreading the amount of effort it might take to convince them.

The trouble is that it's not consistent. I've noticed it as early as 3:30 AM
and as late as 4:35 AM. And it's not on every night.

Anyways, I'm going to start making ping logs again. ("ping <next node in
network > pinglog.log") The trick this time is going to be to ping the next
hop in the RR network and something guaranteed to be outside their network
simultaneously so that I can show without a doubt that it's a node in the RR
network to blame.

I'll post the gnuplot script here when I write it.

On that burr problem... it's really interesting to me that this was happening:

 (ASCII diagram follows)

+-------+ <------- outer black plastic
|+-----+| <----- copper braided shielding
||+---+|| <--- white plastic shielding
||| * ||| <- copper data core
||+---+||
|+-----+|
+-------+

So, the troubled line was installed after the last ice storm in near-dark
conditions very quickly by a RR sub-contractor as they were trying to restore
service as fast as possible. What happened is that a piece of the outer
copper shielding was frayed off and became wrapped around the inner copper
data core. So, the exterior shielding was acting as an antenna and the
signals it picked up were carried on to the data core. Unfortunately for me,
some EM interference source from one of my neighbors was close enough to the
RETURN data frequencies used by RR to interrupt my service for however long
it may be. I'm guessing that it was a cell phone due to the nature of
interruptions. The weirdest part of all of this was being able to use
Ethereal to see ARP and TCP traffic _inbound_ but being completely unable to
send anything out.

Anyways, I found it interesting.