Today's quiz question

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 21:45:09 CDT 2005

--- Gerald Combs <gerald at ethereal.com> wrote:
> What happens when you run
>
>     ping 0x7f.1
>
> and why?
Same thing that happens if you ping 127.1
or 127.0.0.1
or 12.1
or 0xc.1
or 0x7c.0xf1
or ...

ping translates it as x.0.0.y and runs the query.

I would say that this is a bug in ping, that it would
allow x.y to be evaluated as a complete ip address.
But what is going on is that ping is calculating the
address based on the first and last dot numbers and
fills in the blanks with zeros. if you want the RFC
explanation for it, I'd have to look it up. I don'ty
keep that kind of trivia in my head, hell I have a
hard enough time keeping in the important stuff. ;')

Brian D.