database

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Tue May 3 11:55:35 CDT 2005

Quoting Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com>:

> I guess what I'll end up using is SQLite, as the
> poster who mentioned it said that it has an easy
> learning curve.

Haven't used SQLite, but I recall the learning curve for MySQL was pretty
shallow. Hell, if I learned it anyone can. And if you have learned Linux then
you can learn MySQL. I'm going to hazard a guess that the install base for
MySQL is larger than the install base for SQLite so getting help with MySQL is
probably going to be easier. I don't recall seeing very many books at the local
book shop on SQLite, but there's plenty on MySQL.

MySQL also has an ODBC driver and I know it works with Access and Crystal
Reports, etc. If you grab the latest version off of MySQL's web site, there's
even a flag to enforce ANSI SQL standards so you'll be forcing yourself to use
it in a way that's easily transportable to other ANSI compliant dbs... cough.
All the big ones claim to be compliant, but there are different levels of
compliance.

> Actually, I think there's a web guy who might already
> have a MySQL database up and running, I'll ask him
> too.

Yet another reason to use MySQL, you've got someone within the org to turn to
when things break, which shouldn't be very often, in my experience.

Good luck.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com