Good Starter Language? (was Re: REALBasic and OpenAL)

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Thu Mar 31 21:53:52 CST 2005

I believe Jason is right about Python being a good beginner language,
and contrary to Jonathan mischaracterization of Python as an "obscure
niche language" Python is catching on as a very mainstream language.  To
wit:

Evidence that Python is advancing into the enterprise
http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/29/0747230

Python is used by Hollywood, at Google, extending the Gimp, Mailman MLM,
the Plone CMS, GIS systems, and Nokia phones.  That's a hell of a niche.

As for using it as a first language, see these online books:

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/
The online version: http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

Teaching With Python
http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/

I'm teaching my kids to program, and after we study some concepts
without letting the language get in the way, we'll start out with
Python, using the "Think Like" book above.  Then, when we have Python
fairly well in hand, we will move on to PHP, another "niche" scripting
language that's used on more websites than any other language in the
world, including Java.

My $.02,
Jim

--
Progressive Values ARE American Values
Responsibility, Empathy, Freedom, Opportunity, Prosperity, Fairness,