Good Starter Language? (was Re: REALBasic and OpenAL)

James Sissel jimsissel at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 14:35:22 CST 2005

I liked Pascal but what do you do with it?

Perl seems to be very easy to learn and yet extremely
powerful and can get very complex.  But it has just
never really taken off as a mainstream language.
However, I've found a few applications that I would't
write in anything else.

I don't really like Java but it's all the rage today.
And how many times have we all heard that the new
language was going to replace all the other languages?
 Sure, it's good for a lot of things but I really
don't think I'd recommend it as a beginner language
any more that I'd make 6-year-olds use a calculator to
learn 1+1=2.

For a language that is good and introduces you to a
lot of topics and is easy to start learning and can
get very complex later as you grow you really can't
beat C or C++.

BASIC, in all of it's forms, I've found really stinks
IMHO.