Cyrus/Postfix followup

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Mar 31 12:10:19 CST 2005

It appears that there was a cascade of problems on this.

One Friday evening, our file/mail/fax server locked up, and when I rebooted it
the USB modems didn't come on line.  Eventually I managed to unplug the
serial adapter and restart the hotplug and usb drivers in the right order,
and that started working, but a day or so later they told me they still
weren't getting any faxes.

I went through a few daily checks to make sure I was getting "Running and
idle" from faxstat, and it eventually cascaded that the faxes were being
received just find, but were not beign delivered.

First error was that mysql had been removed in a clean-up attempt, because the
MySQL daemon wasn't even running.  It turns out that Cyrus (or was it
postfix?) was depending on it, but there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to
determine specific dependencies of an installed package in Gentoo right now.

Once that was working and Cyrus, Postfix, and Hylafax were all at least
running, we still had problems.  Logs said that delivery
to /home/faxes/.maildir/tmp...etc. wasn't working.

Bill C. helped me find the "mailbox_transport = cyrus" option in main.cf,
which had aparently been overwritten by an update which I didn't catch with
etc-update.

Next cascading error was that /cyrus/bin/deliver wasn't found.  For some
reason, Gentoo was unable to determine where Gentoo had installed the cyrus
binaries, and the postfix master.cf file needed to be updated with the actual
path (/usr/lib/cyrus...).

Complicating this was that this morning, when I actually sat down to put the
time in to work the problem all the way through instead of just doing trivial
checks, our Business Class RoadRunner connection started intermittently
dropping packets, then started bungee jumping up and down.  40% packet loss
makes it pretty hard to do a coherent diagnostic, but I think it's working
all the way through now.

The reason this was so complex to solve is that I kept doing little system
diagnostics of the aparent immediate problem, like checking the modes with
faxstat, but not doing an all-the-way-through trace to make sure that all the
pieces were working.  With the usb hub, cyrix, and postfix all having
problems, it wasn't untill I walked a message all the way through the system
that I solved it all.

Thanks for the help!