REALBasic and OpenAL

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Thu Mar 31 01:33:15 CST 2005

I know a couple of weeks ago I posted a message recommended a person not
learn REALBasic for their first language.  I still believe in this very
much, but we do apparently have a couple of people on this list that work
with REALBasic.  In my spare time I spend time helping multiple open
source projects - one of them being OpenAL.  I don't know if many of you
are aware of this project, but more information can be found here:

http://www.openal.org

A person is currently trying to "port" openal to REALBasic.  I am assuming
this means a wrapper around the API.  At any rate he is running into some
trouble.  I don't know enough to help him, nor do I have time to dig deep
into this issue.  If you are interested in helping out with this you
should look at his webpage:

http://www.maui.net/~mauitom/openal.html

and his post:

http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2005-March/thread.html

which can be found there once the archives catch up.  The linux
implementation is not without flaws, unfortunately I found that it is
difficult to get patches into the sample implementation.  This should not
dissuade us from providing help.

If you know REALBasic, have a moment and would like a project ... think
about helping out.  I don't ask because it is going to help me, but
because I think it is just a good thing (tm).

||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||