High await numbers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 29 08:47:04 CST 2005

I'm getting very suspicious numbers for the average wait time on my swap
partition (hda3).  The iostat -x output doesn't look very good wrapped for
email, but I'm seeing await over 3000 ms, and svctm over 2000.  What's really
surprising about this is that the system is using the swap partition, but
doesn't seem to be actively swapping - vmstat shows 0 si/so most of the time.

Smart monitoring daemon isn't reporting any problems with the drive, and fsck
doesn't show any errors.

I did read somewhere that Redhat's iostat sometimes produces anamolous
readings, but the other readings on the drive look reasonable.

Anybody have ideas on how I can pursue this issue further?