(OT) Solaris

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Sun Mar 27 22:21:15 CST 2005

Quoting Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org>:

> What's it take to learn Solaris administration if you're well grounded in
> Linux?

I've been using Linux for since the early '90s. Until a year and a half ago, I'd
only worked with Solaris a little bit, but where I've been working for the last
15 months, we've got a few Solaris boxes. It's not too bad, though I still
consider myself a Solaris newbie. There's package management for quite a few
things, the basics of system admin will be familiar to you, but somethings will
have different names, etc.

We're actually going to be replacing our Solaris boxes with Linux boxes because
they are so much cheaper and all the students we're hiring have experience with
Linux not Solaris. I really think Sun is going to have to make themselves over
again, if they want to survive.

> I know some of you run Sun hardware, but you tend to install Linux on it,
> don't you?

We're running a mix of Solaris 8 and 9.

--
Dave Hull