[Fw: Linux Job]

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Mar 24 13:11:57 CST 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 10:49 am, Garrett Goebel wrote:

> There is plenty a sysadmin can do with sourcesafe without needing to
> know about branching, labelling, and pinning...

I still think that CVS maintenance is the job of the programming project
manager, not the SysAdmin.

> The best sysadmins I've encountered have almost always come from a
> software or database developer background.

I disagree.  Developers tend to have a certain short-sightedness when it comes
to dealing with the scope of a company's IT operation.  Hardware techs with
exceptional inquistitiveness and troubleshooting capability are the ones I'd
pick, but it's also clear that we, and our respective picks, would define
"System Administrator" differently.