Linux Audio "VCR"?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 08:25:07 CST 2005

arecord?  Haven't heard about that one, I was
considering using rec from the sox package.  Someone
on the Internet suggested another package called
"ecasound".

I haven't used cron much as a mostly home user of
Linux.  My  main Linux machine doesn't change all that
often to need to run many cron jobs.

--- "D. Hageman" <dhageman at dracken.com> wrote:

> cron for the scheduling.  arecord for the recording.
>

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Leo Mauler wrote:
>
> > I have to work a lot of weekends these
> > days, and I'm out so late on Saturdays
> > that, having missed "A Prairie Home
> > Companion" from 5-7pm Saturday, I sleep
> > right through the Sunday morning repeat.
> >
> > I'm really looking for a reason not to
> > use Windows 98 and the "Total Recorder"
> > application I registered a few years
> > ago.  This solution technically works,
> > it allows me to record from Line In at
> > a pre-scheduled time, without me
> > having to be around to start the
> > recorder.
> >
> > The problem is that after about an
> > hour ofrecording the WAV file develops
> > pops and crackles, and starts losing
> > sections of the recording.  I don't
> > mind a Mono recording and even that
> > setting doesn't help.
> >
> > I somehow think Linux might do a
> > better job (and ext3 should manage
> > the larger WAV files better than
> > FAT32), but no one seems to be using
> > the "record from Line In" option for
> > recording radio like a VCR.
> > Everyone's developing projects using
> > hardware FM Radio cards, and I'm just
> > not in that income bracket these days.
> >
> > So how does one go about doing a timed
> > recording in Linux?  Assume that the
> > sound hardware is already installed and
> > working (KNOPPIX 3.7 detects the
> > SoundBlaster PCI card with no problems).
> > I'm probably going to use Mandrake 10.0
> > since I'm used to it.  I'd still prefer
> > a console solution, the machine is a
> > PII-300MHz with 256MB RAM.

And I always thought: the very simplest words
Must be enough. When I say what things are like
Everyone's heart must be torn to shreds.
That you'll go down if you don't stand up for yourself
Surely you see that.

  -- Bertolt Brecht