Dune Parody skit. Was RE: whitewigs

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 22 17:37:33 CST 2005

On Tue, March 22, 2005 4:02 pm, Gerald Combs said:
> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>> Ntp doesn't guarantee correct time, it's just another way to screw it
>> up.

> It _does_ guarantee that you have the same time as a server or a set of
> peers, within a given tolerance.  This is helpful if you want to
> correlate log data on different hosts, or run "make" in an NFS-mounted
> directory.

That's if/when it's configured and working correctly.  Then it'll even
provide the correct date for your email timestamps.  That's not
necessarily a given though.

I had a system that, because I was relying on ntp, and because ntp was
confirured correctly when I checked after setting it up, was six hours off
after subsequent reboots.  Gentoo had, in the absence of useful data from
the DHCP server, overwritten the valid ntp config file with default
garbage.  (This is the default behavior for gentoo.)  Caveat admin.