whitewig

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 00:18:52 CST 2005

--- "D. Hageman" <dhageman at dracken.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Jack wrote:
>
> > --- "D. Hageman" <dhageman at dracken.com> wrote:
> >

> ...  I do have some
> reverence for the
> title as it was given to people who had done a good
> hack.  You don't go
> around telling people that you were hacker ... as
> well ... that would just
> be bragging.
Well, that could be true in some sense. Telling the
world that you have a certain skill could be
considered
bragging, or simply being informative. Telling
everyone
you meet all the time that you have a certain skill
would certainly be bragging.

> I love your definitions though ...  If you get a
> moment, stop by a book
> store and pick up a 2005 dictionary and see if the
> they agree with you.
> ;-)  They are the language experts ... not me. :-)

http://alum.mit.edu/ne/whatmatters/200304/hack.html

This is where I get my definition from. There are many

to choose from and most or all dictionaries are
probably missing quite a few of them; I question the
credentials of some of those experts who write
dictionaries. I've often found mistakes in word
meanings in dictionaries,; which is inevitable when a
language adopts foreign words and the "experts" don't
understand the language or are not antive speakers, or

when words have foggy "at best" sources from which to
find the meaning. But if it's written in print it must

be true, eh? Again we are faced with the truism that
word meanings change.

I naturally got your point (sorry that you
misunderstood my point of taking to a level of
absurdity). Of course calling oneself a hacker in
certain groups can elicit the type of response you
speak of. That doesn't necessarily negate one and
being a hacker. If you walk into a room full of
well-known hackers and you are unknown to them and
call
yourself a hacker, well what would you expect?

But, then I'm an arrogant Irishman. ;')

slan,
Brian Densmore