Real Basic

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Sun Mar 13 02:33:54 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Bill Cavalieri wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 02:34 -0600, D. Hageman wrote:
>> If you are interested in getting your feet wet with programming try it
>> out.  I don't think you will find anybody serious using it though.
>
> While REALbasic is mostly known for the Mac, here's listings of some
> commercial applications written with it.
>
> http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/showcase/

I read the website and did the research before I made the claim above.  I
guess you could say that I was not impressed by the commercial
applications.  Quite a few of them look like advanced versions of Hello
World - not that there is anything wrong with that.  Mom and Pop software
shops have their place in this world like anything else.

>> I would recommend you try picking up perl or python first.  They will have
>> more application to real world experience then Real Basic and are fairly
>> easy to learn and can do all the things that make Real Basic "great".
>>

> Plenty of room for many languages. I know people making very good money
> using languages that not everyone else knows, ie Erlang.

I agree completely.  I will still stand by my recommendation.  While I am
sure you could provide more then adequate assistance in learning
REALbasic, the number of people able to provide assistance with perl or
python is significant larger.   This is a great benefit to someone
learning how to program as they might need several different perspectives
to correctly understand a programming concept.

Erlang ... I would like to be able to try that out sometime.  I have to
admit I am a bit of a language junkie.  My latest adventure is playing
with forth.

||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||