Semi-OT: Programming Question

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Fri Mar 11 14:15:54 CST 2005

This will be my last post on the subject because I would hate to keep
beating it to death.

Thought experiment:

We shall start with a program written in C since we all agree C is a
compiled language.  We shall compile the source code and target it for the
Mac platform.  This binary form will run on any modern Mac.  Assume I copy
this program to my x86 linux machine.  I use something like PearPC to run this
application on my linux machine.  At this point since the machine's "bare
metal" is not directly running this code by your definition we can
consider C an interpreted language.  I think you can see where I am going
with this ...

I do indeed consider java a compiled language.  In fact, I can even get
hardware to run it natively.

You do make some good points about languages though. ;-)

I am sorry to hear about your job. :-(

Peace.