Databases

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Mar 10 07:25:02 CST 2005

>>> Jonathan Hutchins <> 03/09/05 05:55PM >>>
On  09 March 2005 05:25 PM, Bill Cavalieri wrote:

Brian Kelsay

>>> There used to be a series of PC databases - DB II, DB III, DB IV.
>>> Whatever happened to those?

>> Relational/Object DB's negated most of the need for them, SQLite would be a
>> good example. The dBASE's are still around, some utilities in Linux let
>> you read/convert from dBASE formats.

> Oh, right, yeah, dBASE, now apparently on version 7.5, and still going at
> http://www.dbase.com .  Some companies (AT&T) had a pretty big
> investment in
> it, I guess they've kept it going, but I don't see much demand for it in the
> job market.

dBASE is a cheap database, but this is the type of product that I can see disappearing soon due to lack of interest.  The even cheaper or free options will wipe them out.  It's sad, but it happens.  And with student pricing at $99 I would kill an instructor that chose that over MySQL or Postgres.  Hal, how was Btrieve wiped out?  What other databases have died anybody?