DB2

Matt Graham linux at bizniche.com
Wed Mar 9 12:05:59 CST 2005

> A database written in Java?  You gotta be kidding.  They released Eclipse
> and plugins.  Eclipse is an IDE made with Java.  Maybe they released some
> atents for OSS use that related to DB2 that caused the confusion.

IBM did make a java db OS last year.  The Database that IBM released is
Cloudscape.  It's a pretty cool product actually.  It is written in java,
and is embedded, if I'm using that term correctly.  We used it for a
school project a while back.  It's just a small .jar file that you include
and configure with your java app.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/

> Hmmm.... I doubt it.  They released a database written in Java, but DB2 is
> IBM's answer to a database for the big iron.

DB2 is still IBM's flagship DB.  Lots of DB2 engine development happens in
Lenexa.

Matt