logrotate problem

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Mar 4 15:04:18 CST 2005

Greetings luggites. I've been getting this error for several days now.
Not much of a problem, but I would like to know why and how to fix it.

I'm getting a system email with the following text.

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/apache-ssl/*.log
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

Two things of note. First the log.1 files seems to be the active log files.
Secondly the current log files have an older date, the same date as when I think
the logrotate started failing on the apache-ssl files. I have today manually
"rotated" the log files. This I did by: creating a new directory for the old gzipped files,
gzipping the very large log files, moving them to version *.log.2.gz, moving the "current"
log files to *.log.1, and touching *.log files. Not much else to go on. I thought perhaps
it might have something to do with the size of the log files, or the number of old log files.
One would expect logrotate to handle both cases.

Brian Densmore

"Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
One from the dark lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."    john thrum