Costa Rica May Criminalize VoIP

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 17:34:29 CST 2005

Interesting.  If they are successful, we will see a lot more of this in
the backwards-assed nations.  A large number of second and third world
governments (and some of the goofier ones in Europe) own the phone
systems and use them as revenue centers.   It is really a form of hidden
taxation and in most cases it is illegal to do anything that would
impact this income.

It is a stupid move by short sighted bureaucrats to protect a lucritive
income stream.  Kind of like the move in this country to stop the
importation of low priced pharmicueticals and beef from Canada.  If it
is bad for the status quo and good for the people - it must be bad and
therefor we must pass a law to criminalize it. (And that of course will
create an additional revenue stream in fines and court costs!)