Recursive symbolic linking question

Rob Becker rbecker at kcai.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:21:11 CDT 2005

I have a bunch of oggs in a partition called autotunes that are
organized into directories by artist and then subdirectories by album.
I am using ogg123 to play the files.  As best I can tell, ogg123 does
not have the ability to recursively select files from a nested directory
structure.  I need to have a symbolic link for each ogg appear in the
/autotunes directory.  I can get a list of all the oggs by just using
locate *.ogg.  I can dump that to a file with a redirection, but how can
I use that file to create the symbolic links automatically?  I assume
that I'm needing to write a script to accomplish this task.  I'm not at
all familiar with perl, so I would prefer to use bash if possible.  Does
anyone have any pointers?  I am somewhat familiar with bash scripting,
but I'm a bit rusty so I could use a bit of a quick refresher if anyone
has any links or advice to offer.  Please don't suggest that I switch
media players or anything of that sort.  This is a music player for my
car that has limited disk space that I want to conserve for the storage
of the music.
Thanks very much for any help you can offer.
Have a great day.
Rob