Linux, Zaurus, cheap wireless internet

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 08:19:57 CDT 2005

Why not just look into older Pentium II laptops with
Type II PCMCIA slots?  I bought one a year ago for
$240 ($275 after upgrading RAM from 64 to 128MB; $40
for the 802.11g wireless card), they're bound to be
cheaper now and certainly by the time any city-wide
program is implemented.

Using Pentium II laptops means its still portable,
left/right-hander equal use, and the end user might
even be able to afford one of them with little to no
city/county/state subsidies.  End users may not have
the battery life for extensive use away from a power
outlet, but even a Zaurus or Nokia phone needs a power
outlet for charging.

I upgraded to 128MB to be able to run OpenOffice.org,
but 64MB (or even a little less) is good enough for
Mozilla.  Depending on the office needs of the end
user, Abiword and Gnumeric also run nicely in 64MB.