Online Catalog

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Sun Jan 30 12:12:19 CST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:48:09 -0600 (CST)
Don Erickson <derick at zeni.net> wrote:

> I've been working on an interface for a client, and I'm having a hard
> time finding anything out there similar to it.
>
> Has anybody here seen a low-bandwidth, shopping cart enabled,
> searchable, cross-indexed, auto-scaling, real-time price updates from
> a database, zoomable, browser rendered HTML text web page generated
> from a PDF file?
>
> http://www.zeni.net/trf/WPS05/
>
> No Microsoft electrons were bruised in this process.

  I seriously doubt you'll find anything like this online as most people
  wouldn't want to use a PDF as a data source for something like this.

  It's typically easier to just have the data in the database and build
  a normal e-commerce/catalog site from that data. I would also assume
  that the site and PDF would have to be heavily configured to work
  correctly.