web radio

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 01:33:52 CST 2005

--- Brian Kelsay <Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:

> [Long post]
> Somebody asked about web radio a few days ago.  I
> got around to more than the stock answer this
> morning and these look hopeful.
>
> http://www.radio-locator.com/
> http://www.web-radio.fm/
> http://www.virtualtuner.com/
> http://www.radiotower.com/
> http://www.webradiolist.com/
> http://www.vtuner.com/
>
> I still stick by my answer of going to Shoutcast
> first for free streams, but the above links could
> take you directly to the web sites of land-based
> radio stations that also happen to stream.  Some
> stations stream with better quality than others.

http://www.airamericaradio.com/ is another free talk
radio stream (New York-based) with some popular
personalities (Al Franken, Janeane Garofalo, and other
Comedy Central comics).

Locally KCUR (UMKC NPR station, http://www.kcur.org/)
offers free streaming web radio.

Neither site requires registration.

AirAmericaRadio is available on the XM Satellite Radio
service.  Its not free ($10 a month last time I
heard), but its certainly available everywhere.

> On a side note, when I listen to talk radio during
> the day (980 am), sometimes I can't stand the AM hum
> so I listen on the web.  Because of where I work and
> the proxy server they use, I can only listen to
> stations that stream on port 80.   Oddly enough, I
> get Rush Limbaugh by going to 640am in Atlanta.
> This leads to some strange commercials and traffic
> reports.  http://www.wgst.com/stream.html   Some of
> these stations require you to subscribe with a
> username or email address and create a password.
> 710am in KC is one of those and I have to go to the
> site with IE or it doesn't work, due to some java
> scripting that is browser specific.
>
> I can only imagine that they do the user/passwd
> dance so that the marketing dept. knows who is
> listening online for demographics.  It's still ad
> supported you know.

=====
And I always thought: the very simplest words
Must be enough. When I say what things are like
Everyone's heart must be torn to shreds.
That you'll go down if you don't stand up for yourself
Surely you see that.

  -- Bertolt Brecht