Open Source Values

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 00:56:33 CST 2005

--- kurt at verruckt.org wrote:

> Did you choke on your dinner typing that?
>
> Personally I would think that those of a liberal
> persuasion would be more inclined to be in the
> Microsoft camp. Single gigantic entity taking
> care of everyone, telling them what they want,
> and how they will do things.

You haven't been paying attention to American politics
recently then.  The voting machines alone (whether or
not they were rigged, they were still proprietary
closed source controlled by a central corporation)
stick conservatives in the Microsoft camp, for the
very reasons which you state.  Microsoft is at its
core "social conservatism": government tells you what
you want and how you will do things.

As for "taking care of everyone": Since when does
Microsoft "take care of everyone"?  Microsoft does its
level best to kill off any alternatives to Microsoft
which are free (the closest equivalent to "social
programs").  Under Microsoft all highways are toll
roads, all cars are metered usage, everyone pays for
everything they get.

=====
And I always thought: the very simplest words
Must be enough. When I say what things are like
Everyone's heart must be torn to shreds.
That you'll go down if you don't stand up for yourself
Surely you see that.

  -- Bertolt Brecht