on the IBM patent "donation" to OSS

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Jan 26 15:22:57 CST 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/technology/11soft.html?ex=1263099600&en=c57fc4f9f7ed3049&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Here is the salient point quoted from the end of the article:

Today's move by I.B.M. is not aimed at a specific project, but opens access to 14 categories of technology, including those that manage electronic commerce, storage, image processing, data handling and Internet communications.

"This is much broader than the contributions we've made in the past," said Jim Stallings, vice president for standards and intellectual property at I.B.M. "These patents are for technologies that are deeply embedded in many industry uses, and they will be available to anyone working on open-source projects including small companies and individual entrepreneurs.."

I.B.M. executives said they hoped the company's initial contribution of 500 patents would be the beginning of a "patent commons," which other companies would join. I.B.M. has not yet approached other companies, Mr. Stallings said.

I.B.M. will continue to hold the 500 patents. But it has pledged to seek no royalties from and to place no restrictions on companies, groups or individuals who use them in open-source projects, as defined by the Open Source Initiative, a nonprofit education and advocacy group. The group's definition involves a series of policies allowing for free redistribution, publication of the underlying source code and no restrictions on who uses the software or how it is used.

Brian Kelsay