Open Source Values

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 26 10:39:52 CST 2005

I agree and disagree. Open source is about freedom, but not all government
regulation is bad. I like knowing that not any Joe Schmoe can get a license
to practice medicine, or that vehicles have to meet a minimum standard of
to be considered road worthy or that daycare facilities need to check for
criminal records before hiring. I like the idea of my children being cared
for by people who haven't been convicted of being a pedophile. Call me crazy.
The problem is some times there's too much and other times there's not enough.
I also like knowing that not just any Joe Shmoe can contribute to the official
Linux kernel. There are regulations in place to prevent that. I like the idea
that any Joe Schmoe has the freedom to qualify under the existing fair regulations
to be able to contribute to the Linux kernel. Freedom is great but without some form
of control there is chaos and chaos is not always a good thing.