Live CD for Windows Users

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jan 25 14:35:32 CST 2005

Well, that depends. Remember they like to charge for "add on" software
that other distros include by default. Mandrake, Fedora, Mepis or Knoppix
are probably all just as easy to install and use and all have live cds.

> My Dad is still running 98, and he's having the normal accumulation of
> problems that 98 develops over time.  He's thinking of
> "upgrading" to XP,
> and I'd like to show him a better way.
A I would say never upgrade to XP. Also I was surfing yesterday and came across
a report that showed that W2K was the most stable of all the Windoze versions.
If I were to upgrade someone's PC with any Version of Windoze this is the one
I would use.

> More important than compatibility with Windows software, I
> think, would be
> something that worked smoothly without a lot of patching and
> updating.
> That might bring him over, especially on a Live CD.
>
> (Evangelism is wasted here - if he has to work too hard to do it the
> "right" way, he won't.)
In that case I'd say Mepis. Although, installation should be left for at
least a PC literate person. Mepis powered by Debian and has a lot of
functionality built in. I'm not thrilled that they use a unstable/testing
configuration, which means that there is frequent updates available. But
Debian has pretty good default answer built in. As far as patching. You could
choose any distro and it would be great if you never patched it. It's not until
we start mucking around with the internals that Linux distros start acting up
(generally speaking).

Evangelism is never wasted ... in the mind of the Evangelist. ;')