DSL Modem/Router wanted

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jan 25 10:04:15 CST 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 07:33 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> What is the brand of the modem?  It may be supported by the IPCop firewall
> distro.  IPCop is used in the US and in Europe and they have some fixes
> added for specific modems.  You would just have to use an old PC that has
> USB on it.

Trying to remotely build a new PC with firewall just to support a stupid USB
modem isn't a good idea.  What I need is something that will connect to the
existing, working Ethernet card.

We had some new clothing that was a Christmas gift shipped there, and the
import duties were about 30%.  The town we're in is _very_ rural.  Think
middle o' Kansas.  More cows than computers.

I have a couple of PII 400's there that could be built into firewalls, but no
monitors for them - I was going to use an ATI All-in-Wonder and a TV, but I
found out that it's not easy to get the TV-Out working, let alone make it the
primary video.

My wife is a Microbiologist.  She's no dummy, but building computers is not
her thing.  What she has is an older, pre-USB IBM laptop with Windows98 and
Mandrake 9.x on it, and a working ethernet card.

Local phone calls in the U.K., including calls to a dial-up ISP, are usually
charged at 5¢/minute - one of the ways British Telecom tries to clamp down on
the competition.