Laptop for truck driving job

Richard A. Franklin raldenfranklin at everestkc.net
Mon Jan 24 13:44:14 CST 2005

Jeffrey Martin wrote:

>Are you currently driving or a former driver?

It is my current occupation. That is to say, I will be driving my truck
when I am fully recovered from being rammed into the median on U.S. 69
while driving my SUV in mid-December. Rather sore yet. It was enough of
a collision to bend the frame on my vehicle. Hit by a kid on his way
home from college in a Dodge Ram pickup pulling a horse in a trailer ...
he was fine, the horse was merely spooked, and I suspect he had his cell
phone glued to his face instead of watching the rather heavy traffic we
were all in. The kid has a rodeo "scholarship". Really. I couldn't make
that up.

Mostly, I move military folks and their families from one base to
another. (It has been interesting to hear what some Captains, Majors,
LTCs really think about Bush, but cannot say openly ... it is part of
their contract as commissioned officers to not ever publicly criticize
their commander in chief) I also transport equipment to restaurants that
are under construction ... all of this in 48 states, D.C. and an
occasional threat of having to drive into Canada. But I digress.

>I'm going to be starting the 4 week school in Kansas City Kansas in a week.
>
>One trucking company I looked up on the internet had internet access
>through the satelite link in the truck.
>
>How does one deal with so many providers. I suppose you have to buy a
>card for all of them.

http://www.tonservices.com/hisp_home.htm This is available in about 300
truck stops, which may not sound like much, but then again, there are
not that many places where I care to stop for the night; and these are
almost all very clean, fairly modern facilities. I tend to park under
the lights, as the creepy, slithering creatures of the night tend to
bother the people parked in more remote places (a truck alarm is a good
idea). Anyway, I also started to find a fair number of "free" wireless
connections at truck stops.

Avoid truckstop.net for wireless service. They are historically
inconsistent, and the company is currently suing Sprint, saying Sprint
failed to properly install hot spots, and Sprint is withholding service
until they get paid.

BTW, I run my appliances, including the laptop, off of a power inverter.
There are many ways to do this correctly, and many ways to fry your
truck's electrical system, or your appliances, or both. See your truck
dealer for details, or go to an old, well established C.B. shop. Some of
the better ones sell power inverters, satellite TV, and other good
things, and know how to install them properly if you don't. Still, a
Kenworth, Freightliner or Peterbilt ... or whatever dealer, may be the
most qualified to assist you with your power needs.

Good luck and safe travels! I will be happy to address any questions you
may have about truck driving off list.

Rick