Dell

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jan 24 11:43:27 CST 2005

Maybe part of the reason Compaq merged with HP was, failure rates and
proprietary parts. We just got in a Compaq server for a client last week
and it looked like a pretty decent server.

> I've been working on Dell hardware at work, exclusively for
> the last six years
So then you have no recent experience with Compaq servers then. Six
years is an eternity in this market.

> and have been extremely pleased with it. I was running Linux
> on hardware from
> Dell before they supported it with very little problems.
No one ever said Dell didn't work with Linux, but just that they are
not really supportive of Linux. In fact I hear lots of complaints about
their Customer support.

But what it boils down to is there are plenty of stories going both ways.
Dell has always had a pretty decent reputation for rock-solid hardware.
Compaqs have always had a rep for proprietary. HP has always been known
as rock-solid and expensive. IBM is well IBM. Then there is everyone else.

I don't have much experience personally with any brands as I tend to build
whatever I need, because the hardware is always rock solid, the price is
competitive and the service is outstanding. So I get the best of all worlds.
If something fails I always know who to blame, and where to go to get it fixed.

[Let the hardware religion war continue]

Brian D