Dual-Booting XP?

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Mon Jan 24 10:18:04 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 03:33:47PM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I prefer Lilo to Grub, it's easy for me to understand, and I love the ability
> to change defaults permanently or temporarily from the command line (lilo -R
> windows;shutdown -r now).

GRUB takes a little bit to learn, but it makes more sense to me know
that LILO used to.  GRUB lets you do a lot more than LILO.

Rebooting to a different "default" kernel/partition is a little trickier
in GRUB, but you can do something like this:

### go-windows.sh ##
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map --batch <<END_GRUB_INPUT
savedefault --default=3 --once
quit
END_GRUB_INPUT
/usr/bin/reboot

This will change your default kernel/partition once and then reboot into
it.

Jeremy