Laptop for truck driving job

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com
Mon Jan 24 03:22:56 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 13:46 -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> does not play very well with Linux, I have yet to find the specs for the
> motherboard sensors on my PowerEdge server.

While this thread is about laptops, little side trip.

Dell sells PowerEdge servers with RedHat and SuSE as options.  While
SuSE Enterprise 9 is a recent addition, RH has been an option for at
least a couple years (first time I checked into Dell and Linux).

Back to notebooks, I now own a HP zv5000 series (AMD), SuSE Pro 9.2
installed perfectly with everything working out of the box (though I
must admit have not checked on modem).  Including the touch pad,
external usb mouse, and the xorg settings for a wide screen display.
I've had the notebook for little over 6 months, and has worked great.

I had a Dell notebook previously (pee3 700), and too, linux installed
and worked out of the box. I had to service it 3 times in its 2 year
life, but service was fast (overnight both directions), and never any
hassles beyond not understanding the tech guy on other end :).

I would buy a Dell again, but the HP was a much better deal and I liked
its looks better.