Laptop for truck driving job

Richard A. Franklin raldenfranklin at everestkc.net
Sat Jan 22 22:47:51 CST 2005

Jeffrey Martin wrote:

>What should I avoid when looking for a linux compatible laptop?
>Any other tips for being on the road with linux?
>Thank You. -Jeff

I would start here:

http://tuxmobil.org/

and pay particular attention here:

http://tuxmobil.org/apm_linux.html

Then I would use (gasp) Windows XP anyway, perhaps in a dual-boot
environment.

Will you be driving in 48 states? It is my experience that Microsoft
Streets and Trips is an indispensable tool when traveling, as directions
are often so bogus in the world of 18 wheel trucking that they should
always be rechecked. This has saved me many times from driving 77 feet
of truck into places it simply did not belong in, or just saved me from
making a possibly disastrous wrong turn! Unfortunately, I know of no
successful attempts to run this program in Linux. I look forward to
being wrong about that, so if anyone knows how ...

Outdoor wireless in truck stops is another issue. It is a different
animal at each truck stop ... different providers and equipment,
different atmospheric and environmental factors  (wet leaves on trees
can really scatter a signal) ... sometimes you cannot find an open
parking place with a clear view of the antennae. Remember, the signal
will not penetrate the metal on your semi. That, of course, has little
to do with your choice of OS. ANYWAY, I think Linux wireless drivers and
signal detection tools need a little more work, and in time, soon I
hope, that will be a non-factor in my choice of an OS for travel.

I continue to use XP less and less, but I cannot lose functionality
while traveling. When Linux can do everything on a laptop or desktop
that XP can, and it will happen, then I will drop XP in a New York
second ... or is it a New York minute?

I use Linux as much as possible and XP as little as possible, because
(are you reading this Jim H.?) Open Source has better vibes than XP. The
passion and dedication of the Linux, GNU/Linux, Open Source ... whatever
you care to call it ... community has tremendous appeal. The short but
highly eventful history of the movement is inspiring. I therefore choose
to support it in my own small way, and look forward to a complete
transition from the realm of intrusive EULAs and software that tries to
spy on me (like Windows Media Player). I do value freedom ... free
speech AND free beer. And I don't really mind paying a fair price for
the beer if it is drinkable.

So why do I use Windows at all? I'm either a pragmatist or a whore ...
perhaps a pragmatic whore ;-)

I'll fully repent when it is convenient to do so.

Safe travels, and thanks for putting up with my $0.02!

Rick