Version control for web sites...

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu Jan 20 13:58:59 CST 2005

Brig C. McCoy wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I'm interested in implementing version control for our web site
> development work, including configuration files.
>
> We're on Redhat Enterprise 3 with Apache.
>
> I've worked with sccs in the past (hey, I'm old, deal) and still have
> the night terrors.
>
> Obviously cvs would do the job,

...until you need to rename or delete a directory.

> but I'd like to find something less
> complicated for the Windows-biased members of my staff.
>
> Anyone have any experience with subversion? Any other suggestions?

I moved Ethereal from CVS to Subversion last July.  We have a read-write
repository, which is only accessible via SSH, with changes propagating
to a read-only repository on another box accessible via WebDAV and
ViewCVS (available at http://anonsvn.ethereal.com/).  We also have
checkins trigger email notifications and BuildBot builds
(http://buildbot.ethereal.com).  Setting it all up was pretty
straightforward, despite the complexity and component diversity.  There
have been a couple of glitches, but I don't regret switching.

Subversion has a _ton_ of clients available on multiple platforms,
including Windows.  TortoiseSVN integrates directly with the Windows
explorer.  I think you can set up an fsfs repository on a Windows file
share and access it directly using clients, with no server neccessary.