Open Source Values

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Thu Jan 20 00:05:07 CST 2005

I've been reading George Lakoff, and doing a lot of thinking about
values, lately.  My own values as well as those of others.  I know what
it is about open source software that appeals to my values.  You can
look at the list in my sig and get an idea of the values I'm talking
about, and you can imagine how OSS fits into them, but I don't want to
bias the discussion too much beforehand with my opinions.  I will offer
those up later.

What I would like to know from some of you guys is, which of your values
are best served by OSS?  Please let me know either directly in
confidence, or publicly to the list, where you consider yourself on the
conservative/moderate/progressive political spectrum, and what it is
about OSS that appeals to you.  I'm especially anxious to hear from my
LUG friends on the right of the spectrum, as that is more difficult for
me to understand.  Once I've heard several opinions, I plan to formulate
some kind of summary explanation, or theory, that connects different
values and the open source movement.

Thanks for your input,
Jim Herrmann

--
Progressive Values ARE American Values
Responsibility, Empathy, Freedom, Opportunity, Prosperity, Fairness,