old hardware reminiscers support group

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 19 14:39:04 CST 2005

I've seen some of the big boys fitted with cameras, sensors and
transmitters. But here's another idea that I'd like to implement
perhaps alternatively to fitting rockets with sensors. A ground
tracking system hooked up to a Linux box, to follow the rocket
and determine altitude and velocity. The benefit here of course is
build it once and not have to worry about it getting destroyed because
a shut fails to open. Of course the upside of putting sensors on at
least one rocket is implementing a tracking device capable of withstanding
the kinds of force subjected to in rockets.

Only one flaw in your homegrown cruise missile. The topo maps give the
height of natural features only. All those man-made obstacles might prove
to be a flight hazard. ;')