old hardware reminiscers support group

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:24:31 CST 2005

HeH......2600 became a magic number for it being the control tone used
to "dump" one from a toll free number to the limbo of switching nexuxes
 Then by simulating an operator console you had the grandmaster key   .
The rest of the game was having a DTMF keyboard possessing the column 4
buttons ..... That and learning the codings which a little human
engineering allowed one to use other skilled operators like a verbal man
page for .  An exercise in Google search seems akin to a flashback ....
Statue of limitations is the only reason some of us don't belong to some
big dude with the most ciggies . As for the contest in ancient tech- I
may be a placeholder by there possibly being an asr-33 in the bowels of
my storage barn unless it got thieved by former staff !
That asr had been used as a paper tape drive for a swtp 6800 my
classmate inherited in 1982.
  IIRC the data was comma separated hard fielded ascii that would not be
too hard to read today.