Solar Cells

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Mon Jan 17 07:04:23 CST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> There's been some talk about independent power generation here lately,
> so I thought some of you would be interested in this:
>
> http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=7319094&src=rss/scienceNews
>
> New solar cells that are 5x more efficient than the current 6%.
>
> I should point out that there are a LOT of resources on alternative
> power on the web.  Don't rely on this list unless your interest is
> purely casual.

That's pretty good.  Compare this with our biological friends: plants like
sugarcane usually get around 4.5% efficiency with photosynthesis and a
yield rate of 1/10th that.  So, with the sun giving averaging us 100 watts
per square meter 24 hours a day/365 days a year, we would get about 400
milliwatts of sugar per square meter...

So how many potato plants does it take to run a Debian Linux box on either
technology?

-=Duane
http://dattaway.org