best eye candy for linux

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jan 13 15:48:17 CST 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 11:41 pm, jeffslists wrote:
> Hi, I'm developing speech control jukeboxes and I'm using linux for one
> of the systems.  I'm looking for the window manager with the best eye
> candy.  As far as I know Enlightenment (http://enlightenment.org) has
> the best eye candy I have seen.  This window manager is a work of art.
> Does anyone know of any window manager as pretty as Enlightenment?

I would encourage you to check out the latest happenings in the X.org 6.8.x
series. Using an NVidia based graphics board (and ATI when they catch up) it
is possible to enable the experimental xcompmgr tools which provide a double
buffered, hardware accelerated, drop shadowed and animated desktop. It's
compatible with almost all existing X11 apps.

It's basically a complete rip-off of the OS X graphics system QuartzExtreme.
And it's quite functional.