Pressing a button in Linux is too complicated

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 13 14:56:01 CST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 07:34 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> On Knoppix, Mepis, DamnSmall, Mandrake, Redhat, hell all current desktop
> distros I have loaded in recent memory, if you are in X, you most likely
> will have an icon on the desktop that looks like a drive.  Right click on
> it and you can mount and unmount to your hearts content.  Left click or
> double click, depending on how your GUI environment is configed, and you
> mount and open a file browser in the same motion.  Dead easy.

There is also the argument about whether a "user" should be able to mount and
umount filesystems, or if this privilage should be reserved to the root
operator.  To me, that's a non-question, it should be specific to a given
filesystem.  No, the user can't unmount "/".  Yes, they can mount a CD or a
network share to their userspace.

This is getting smoother with the 10.x releases.  SuSE's still on a "sometimes
it works, sometimes it doesn't, can you reach an update server today?" basis.
Usually if I plugged in a USB device, unplugged it, then plugged it in again,
it would mount.

Mandrake's very smooth about this, it handles the media just like a desktop
workstation should, no hassles, it's just there. (I think gentoo was pretty
smooth last week if I recall, but there have been updates since then.  New
rule tomorrow.)