best eye candy for Linux

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:15:37 CST 2005

Ratpoison is an X window manager, just like e or fvwm.  instead of frames that
you drag around with the mouse, new windows get a new box, like an autotiling
feature.  The afternoon I experimented with it, I found it easy to use
(as advertised)
but there was a bit of a learning curve, as it is controlled largely
through the keyboard.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:43:27 -0600, Brian Densmore
<DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'll bite.
>
> Instinctive response:
> I try to avoid life reducing substances. How long it takes
> depends on dosage.
>
> Other response:
> Looked up ratpoison in google. Since I'd
> never heard of it as anything except a substance to avoid.
> Still not certain what it is, other than knowing it is a
> sparse window manager. Not sure if it runs on X or not as
> there is no reference anywhere. Near as I can tell there is no
> menu or desktop. I'd say it is not a very friendly or usable
> interface and would question the reason for using it over the
> CLI. In fact I'd go as far as saying the CLI is probably more
> user-friendly than ratpoison. But then I would say the same thing
> about some of the other window managers (like tvm). At least with
> the CLI you can access help readily.
>
> Confused In K.C.

David L Nicol
You're striving for harmony, and, if you try to take
 too much, you'll come to grief.  -- Michael Redmond