Wireless "crossover cable"?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 06:05:29 CST 2005

I'm going to be going to a private outdoor festival in
Kansas in about six months.  The festival is held in
an area without wireless access (no Internet, no cell
phones) but electricity/generators are scattered
around the site and you can park your car next to your
tent for electricity if necessary.

A couple of friends of mine are going to be coming to
the festival too, but because we're in different
groups we will be camping in different areas of the
campsite.  We all have handheld CB-like radios, but we
were also considering bringing our laptops and setting
up some sort of wireless connection between the
computers.  There are a couple of telephones
available, and--among other things--transmitting
current photographs over landlines to people who
weren't able to make it was one idea we had.

My question is: is there a way to connect just two
computers together with wireless (probably 802.11b)
without a wireless AP between the two of them?

If not, I suppose we could just use a wireless router
in a plastic bag.  There's a rather large hill on the
site with a telephone pole and electrical connection
near the middle, rather ideal for some central
wireless AP to sit on and provide access throughout
the campsite.