install and use of linux with a drive too big for bios

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 01:21:55 CST 2005

--- "D. Joe Anderson" <kclug at etrumeus.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 05:05:34AM -0800, Leo Mauler
> wrote:
>
> > HyperTech computers at the mall at the corner of
> > 87th & Farley in Lenexa
>
> >  Computer Swap & Shop between Lamar
> > and Nall on Johnson Drive in Merriam, KS.
>
> > Also, MicroCenter at 93rd & Metcalf in Overland
> Park
>
> Thanks for the summary of shops like this in the
> area.  KC is big enough that I know there has to
> be shops like these, but any time I visit, it's
> hard to know where to look for them, how far away
> they are, if they're still in business, etc.
> Tried to go to one for which I saw a sign in
> Lee's Summit, MO, but when I actually got into
> the strip mall, it had been turned into something
> else.  Only thing I could find was a Best Buy.

I happen to shop at these three stores.  I found
HyperTech in "ComputerUser".  When they have used
computer parts such as hard drives, they price them
reasonably (like a 2GB hard drive for $8).

MicroCenter was a store I ordered bulk floppy disks
from, which happened to put a physical store into
Overland Park.  They're the "Wal-Mart" of computer
stores.

Finally, Computer Swap & Shop used to be a really good
place to find used  computer parts (like used PCI
cards and suchlike), but they started selling complete
systems and only have the used and cheap computer
parts as a sideline now.  The one thing you can say
about them is that you'll always find a supply of used
hard drives, used and cheap PCI cards, and bulk
screws/motherboard spacers and the like.  Everything
except the bulk bits will be way too expensive (such
as a 2GB hard drive for $24.95) but if you desperately
need a sub-8.4GB drive and HyperTech has nothing, then
go to Computer Swap & Shop.