MAN pages

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Wed Jan 5 13:19:30 CST 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:09:08 -0600
Zscoundrel <Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> I have noticed a tendency in the MAN pages to refer people to the
> system administrator.  This ends up as a really nasty catch-22 when I
> am trying to figure something out because I *AM* the freaking' system
> administrator.
>
> What is the point of looking stuff up in the man pages when it says
> "you may need to refer to your system administrator for the names of
> such devices. . . "?  If I KNEW the freakin' names I would be using
> them and doing productive work and not wasting time with the MAN pages
> - SHEESH

  This is because often a Unix system is multi-user with hundreds of
  people with shells on it and some of them need to read man pages.
  Not so much the case anymore, but used to be the norm.

> I encountered this scenario while trying to get a UMAX1220P scanner
> working under fedora core2.  All the google stuff is really shallow
> and the MAN and INFO stuff don't give me much to go on.  Has anyone
> got any experience with this and could you throw me a lifeline???  It
> is an old parallel port connected scanner - but it is all I have
> available right now.  I don't plan to use it much and I would REALLY
> hate to pop for a USB connected scanner until I see some light at the
> end of the tunnel.
>
> Any suggestions???

  I'd check out the sane and xsane documentation as that is probably
  the scanner interface you'll want to use. Sorry I can't be more
  help, never messed with scanners much.